Principal’s Community Update 2/13/23
Midwinter Break – All SPS schools will be closed next week, February 20-24.
Spirit Week! – Students are invited to dress a special way every day this week! Mon: Cultural Wear, Tues: Twin Day, Wed: African Flag (dress in the colors of a flag of your choice), Thurs: Wacky Day, Friday: Fancy Friday (dress up). Participation is optional.
Black History Month – Mayor Bruce Harrell visited John Muir on Feb. 3; NAAPID (Natl African American Parent Involvement Day) is TODAY from 8:30-2:00; Black Love Dance, Wed., Feb. 15, 5:00-7:00 pm. Questions? Contact email@example.com Thank you, Ms. Noriega!
Black Love Dance – Join us this Wed, Feb 15, 5:00-7:00 pm to celebrate Black Love at the school dance! Enjoy a night of tunes from the DJ on the ones and twos, pizza generously donated by Tutta Bella and Mioposto, and of course dancing! All Muir families (siblings included) are welcome. Adults/parents are required to stay with their student(s) throughout the dance. This event is co-hosted by the Muir PTA.
Traffic Flow Reminders – Everyone must follow the school traffic policy. A few key reminders:
- There will be a designated area after dismissal for parents waiting to use the playground at 2:35
- 34th (between Horton and Hinds) and 33rd Ave S (between Hinds and Spokane) are both one-way south at drop-off and pick-up.
- There is no parking on 34th Ave S between Horton and Hinds at drop-off.
- If you have a disabled parking permit, you may park in the cutout area on 34th Ave S. Otherwise, please park several blocks away from the school. There’s ample parking on other nearby streets.
- Do not make U-turns or back up!
- Always drive and park on the right side of the street.
- Yield to pedestrians at every intersection and come to a complete stop until they fully cross.
What’s Important to YOU? – Please take 5 minutes to complete this anonymous survey to help set PTA and school priorities. If you open the survey in Chrome, you can right click to translate to your preferred language! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
Muir Parent in the Seattle Times – Bravo and thanks to one of our very own Muir parents, Julie Cella, who penned this piece in the Seattle Times last week about the power of SPS neighborhood education. We’re grateful to be each one of you who make our school great!
Questions? Contact the front office: #206-252-7400. Erika and Helina are always happy to help! You may also email Alana Haider (principal) email@example.com or Quinta Thomas (ass’t principal) firstname.lastname@example.org