Information for New Students and Families
Welcome New Students and Families!
Welcome to the 2023-24 school year, Lions!
We are so happy to have you as part of our wonderful community. Here are a few things to be aware of and complete to ensure you are ready for the upcoming school year.
23-24 Start of Year Dates
- The first day of school for 1st-5th graders is Wed, Sept 6. This is NOT an early dismissal day.
- Kindergarten’s first day is Monday, Sept. 11.
- Kindergarten families: Teachers will reach out by September 5th to schedule Family Connection Conferences that will take place Sept 6-8, in person or on teams. This is so your teacher can learn about your student and you can learn about what to expect this year.
- All families are invited to Back to School Night on Tues, Sept 5th from 5pm to 6pm. This is when you’ll find out who your child’s teacher is and have a chance to visit their classroom. Kids are welcome and must be supervised at all times.
- Visit the School Calendar to keep up to date with events and happenings at the school. You can easily subscribe to the calendar on your phone or desktop calendar apps using the “Subscribe” link at the bottom of the page.
Drop-off and Pick-up Procedures
School starts at 7:55 a.m. Kids enter through as early as 7:40 via the gates on 34th Ave S or Hinds. Late arrivals (after 7:55 a.m.) enter the front of the building on Horton.
For the first few days of school, families are allowed to walk their students to their classroom line on the playground (especially new families). After that time, we ask that caregivers say goodbye to their children at the gate. There will be plenty of staff on hand to help kids find their way to their lines.
School lets out at 2:25 p.m. for grades 1-5. Caregivers must come to the playground to retrieve their child. Early dismissal on Wednesdays (1:10 p.m. time for grades K-5).
Kindergarten is dismissed at 2:15 p.m. (1:10 p.m. on Wednesdays). They depart from the kindergarten outside doors on Horton, located west of the main office at the end of the staff parking lot. Kindergarten students with older siblings will be escorted to the playground and gathered by the entry gates on 34th Ave S.
Contact your teacher and the front office to add an approved person to pick up your child.
Muir Policies and Procedures
If you have questions about what your child needs to do if they have a medical need (e.g., they take medications at school), support with signing up for an IEP or 504 plan, or anything else, contact the front office staff.
You do not need to buy school supplies as the Muir PTA purchases items requested by all teachers for all students. Most kids just need to bring a backpack with a water bottle to school each day. We ask that Kindergarten students bring a change of clothes, labeled in a plastic bag to the first day of school. K students can also bring in a comforting photo from home.
School breakfast and lunch will be free for all students during the 2023-24 school year. Snacks are provided by teachers daily, so donations of those are much appreciated.
How to Stay Connected to Muir Staff and Families
Contact the front office with any questions:
- Phone 206-252-7400
- Erika Irwin firstname.lastname@example.org
- Helina Gessese email@example.com
Download the Talking Points app. It is through this app that the district, school and your child(ren)s teacher(s) communicate with you. Be sure to regularly do app updates to ensure you continue receiving these messages throughout the year.
Don’t miss important emails from the school.
Add our Principal, Assistant Principal, and admin staff to your email contacts so you receive our community update emails.
- Principal, Quinta Thomas firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assistant Principal, Treneicia Gardner email@example.com
- Admin staff, Erika Irwin firstname.lastname@example.org
- Admin staff, Helina Gessese email@example.com
Connect with other families in your grade via family-run WhatsApp groups.
Sign up to volunteer in the school: the school is seeking enthusiastic volunteers to support lunch duty, and recess duty (monitor games, and to support transitions from lunchroom to recess and from recess to the building). Mon-Fri from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. (90 mins each day). Contact the front office for more details, or visit the SPS website to learn how to be a volunteer.